Prep time : 9 hours
Cook time : 30 mins
Total time : 9 hours 30 mins
Dosa recipe – crepes made with fermented rice and lentil batter.
Recipe type: breakfast
Cuisine: south indian
Serves: 3-4 (16 to 18 dosa)
Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup idli rice or parboiled rice, 100 grams
- ½ cup regular rice, 100 grams
- ¼ cup urad dal/husked whole or split black gram, 50 grams
- ⅛ tsp methi seeds or 2 pinches
- 2 tbsp poha/flattened rice
- 1.5 cups water for soaking both rice and lentils
- ¾ cup water for grinding, do add water as required
- ½ tsp rock salt or non iodized salt or sea salt crystals or himalayan pink salt
- Oil as required
How to make the recipe:
Prepping and soaking:
- In a bowl take ½ cup idli rice or parboiled rice along with ½ cup regular rice.
- To the same bowl, add ¼ cup urad dal and ⅛ tsp methi seeds.
- Rinse the rice, lentils and methi seeds together a couple of times and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, take 2 tbsp poha.
- Rinse it once or twice in water and then add rinsed poha to the bowl containing the rinsed rice+lentils+methi seeds.
- Pour 1.5 cups water. Mix. Cover with a lid and soak everything for 5 to 6 hours.
Grinding batter in a mixie:
- Drain all the water and add the soaked ingredients in a wet grinder jar.
- Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind till you get a fine grainy consistency of rice in the batter. A smooth consistency of batter is also fine. If the mixer gets heated up, then stop and wait for some minutes. When the mixer cools down, grind again. Depending on the jar capacity, you can grind everything once or in two batches. I ground in two batches and added overall ¾ cup water.
- Now take the batter in a large bowl or pan.
- Add ½ tsp rock salt. Mix very well. Cover and allow to ferment for 8 to 9 hours or more. Time of fermentation will vary depending on the temperature conditions.
- A proper fermentation will double or triple up the volume of the batter and you will see tiny air pockets in the batter with a light sour aroma.
- Now lightly stir the batter, before you begin to make dosa.
- Heat a cast iron pan. When the pan becomes hot, spread ¼ to ½ tsp oil all over the pan. Do keep the flame on low to low-medium flame, so that you are easily able to spread the batter. If the pan base is very thick, then keep the flame to medium.
- Do not spread oil if you are using a non stick pan, as you won’t be able to spread the batter.
- Now take a ladle full of the batter. Pour the batter and gently spread the batter starting from the center and moving outwards.
- Cook the dosa on a low to medium flame. Do regulate the flame as per the pan size and thickness.
- When you see the batter on the top cooked, then sprinkle ¼ to ½ tsp oil on the edges and center.
- With the spoon spread the oil on the dosa.
- Cook till the base is nicely golden and crisp. The base will leave the pan when its gets cooked.
- Fold and serve hot. Make all dosas this way.
- Serve these crisp dosas plain or with potato masala and coconut chutney.
– recipe can be doubled.
– if doubling the recipe, then soak urad dal + methi seeds in a separate bowl. Grind urad dal and methi seeds separately. Grind rice separately. Then mix both the batters in a large bowl or pan. Grind soaked rice in two to three batches.
Source : www.vegrecipesofindia.com