These days gulab jamuns are widely available in cans and in all shops. You can also make gulab jamuns with the instant gulab jamun mix readily available. But why not make it at home when it is so simple to make and requires very few ingredients?. Here I have shared the recipe and tricks to make the perfect Gulab Jamun in your own kitchen.
For the Jamun balls
Milk Powder – 1/2 cup
Maida (All purpose flour) – 2 tsp
Rava (Semolina) – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Milk – 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
Ghee or Butter – 1 tbsp
For the Sugar Syrup
Sugar – 1.5 cup
Water – 1.5 cup
Rose Essence (or rose water) – 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
For making Sugar Syrup
1. Take the sugar and water in a sauce pan. Boil it.
2. Reduce the flame and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice, rose essence and cardamom powder to the syrup.
4. Switch off.
For making Jamun Balls
1. In a mixing bowl, take the milk powder, maida, baking soda and rava. Combine it.
2. Add the lemon juice and butter/ghee and mix it well till you get a crumbly flour.
3. Add the milk and mix it. The dough may appear to be very sticky.
4. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. By now most of the moisture is absorbed by the dough.
Tips : If you feel the dough feels dry, add a few drops of milk. The dough should be soft and moist. Only then you will get smooth balls without any cracks.
5. Divide it into equal portions. Make smooth balls with your palms. Make all the balls and keep it covered under a damp kitchen towel to prevent them from getting dried up.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry on medium low heat till it becomes golden brown. It is important that you fry on low heat so that the balls are cooked through.
7. Put the fried jamun balls in the warm sugar syrup. Let it soak for 45 minutes to an hour. Yummy gulob jamun is ready.