Kadala Curry/ Chickpea curry is a specialty dish of Kerala had especially for breakfast along with steamed rice cakes. The Chickpeas (traditionally black chickpea/ kala channa) are cooked in deliciously smooth onion and coriander gravy and served along with steamed rice cakes or puttu.
Ingredients for the Curry
- 1 cup chickpeas/kala channa
- 2 large onions; finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato; finely chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic; ground to paste or finely chopped
- 1 small piece ginger; ground to paste or finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- refined oil
- salt to taste
Ingredients to be ground to paste
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 green chillies
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Grind the above ingredients into a smooth paste adding very little warm water.
Ingredients for Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 to 3 sprigs curry leaves (this enhances flavor)
- coconut oil
- Soak chickpeas overnight or for atleast 8 hours and cook until soft. See Cooking instructions.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottled pan; add the finely chopped onions and sauté till onions turns golden brown.
- When onions have browned, add ginger & garlic paste into it and sauté till raw smell disappears.
- Stir in the turmeric powder and the chopped tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes are soft and tender. Add in the coconut paste and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Finally add in the cooked chickpeas, some water and simmer for about 30 minutes until all the masalas get well coated into the chickpeas. Simmer until you get a thick gravy.
Method to prepare Seasoning
- Heat oil in a small pan; add in the mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Stir in the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add this seasoning to the chickpea gravy and simmer fir another for 5 minutes.
- Serve the Kerala Kadala Curry hot with puttu or chapathi.