Mushroom – 1 lb /1/2 kg ( cut into small pieces)
Soya Chunks – 1 cup
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Onion -1 large ( cut lengthwise)
Tomato – 2 ( finely chopped or crushed)
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
Corrainder leaves – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Mint leaves – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Green chillies – 3 nos (finely chopped)
Oil – 3 tblsp
Ghee – 3 tblsp
Coconut milk -½ cup
Water -3 cups
Yogurt – 2 tblsp
Salt – to taste
Chilly powder – 2 tsp
Corrainder-Cumin powder – 2 tsp
Fennel Powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Whole Garam Masala – (Bay leaf – 1, Cinnamon – 2, Cloves – 5, Cardamon – 3)
1. Clean the mushroom with a wet kitchen towel to remove the dirt. Do not wash with water. Cut it lengthwise to retain the mushroom shape.
2. Soak 2 cups of Basmati rice and the soya chunks seperately.
3. In a heavy deep vessel heat oil and ghee together and fry the whole garam masala (bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardomon).
4. Add onions and saute till golden brown. Slowly add chopped green chilly, chopped corrainder and mint leaves while suateing the onions.
5. When onions turn slightly brown and crispy add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and sauté till it becomes a paste.
6. Now add mushroom slices. Squeeze the water from the soya chunks and add it.
7. Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, corriander-cumin powder, fennel powder, yogurt, coconut milk and salt. Saute everything until it thickens to a gravy consistency.
8. Drain all water from the rice and put it in a rice cooker. Add the gravy to the rice along with water and mix well. Check for salt and switch on the rice cooker.
9. After the biryani is done, gently fluff it up with a fork and garnish with corriander leaves. Serve hot with raita and some sidedish.
– You can use one of the ingredients and make mushroom biryani or soya biryani alone.
Enjoy the Mushroom and Soya Biryani.