Crispy palak bhajia are made with fresh spinach leaves mixed with besan and various spices. They taste great when topped with chaat masala, sliced onion and green chutney. These crispy palak bhajiya are a perfect snacks and are quick and easy to make. Learn how to make palak bhajia.
6 – 8 tsp besan
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp roasted cumin seed powder
1 tsp ginger (grated)
2 cups spinach leaves, cleaned and chopped roughly
A pinch of turmeric powder
A pinch of asafetida
2 pinch baking soda
1 tblsp rice flour (optional)
Salt to taste
1 tsp smoking hot oil
Water for mixing
Oil for deep frying
- Take a big mixing bowl; add besan, red chili powder, cumin seed powder, grated ginger, turmeric powder, asafetida, baking soda, rice flour, salt and smoking hot oil. Adding rice flour and hot oil makes the pakodas crisp.
- Mix all the ingredients well and add chopped spinach leaves. Mix well. Now add water little by little to make a thick consistency mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or kadai and then with the help of a spoon or wet fingers drop small balls of the mixture in the oil.
- Deep fry in hot oil and turn them occasionally to fry evenly from all sides.
Note : Do not fry the bhajias on high flame as the mixture will remain uncooked from inside. Also do not fry on very low flame as the bhaiyas will absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture to make more bhajias.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately topped with chaat masala, chutney and sliced onions.