Paruppu Vada also known as the Masala Vadai is a very traditional dish that is made during the tamil new year. Try this simple and quick recipe for a party and serve it with coconut chutney or green chutney.
- 50 grams of oats
- 1 tablespoon rice
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1/4 channa dal
- 1/4 cup whole urad dal + 2 tablespoons
- 3 to 4 dry red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds, coarsely pounded
- a small bunch of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- a few curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Soak the 2 tablespoons of channa dal in water for about a hour. Drain and keep aside. We will not be grinding this along with the other lentils.
- Soak the rice and all the lentils for about one hour. Once soaked well, drain the water. and blend the soaked lentils along with red chillies, asafoetida powder and salt into a very coarse batter.
- Do not add any water to grind into a batter. You want the batter to be of thick shaping consistency.
- Transfer the vadai batter to a bowl, add in the chopped fennel seeds, chopped onions, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Stir to combine all the ingredients well.
- We will now make this vadai healthy by frying it in a Kuzhupaniyaram Pan. Preheat the pan and add a teaspoon of oil into each of the cavities of the paniyaram pan.
- Spoon small amount of the Masala Vabdai batter into the cavities and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan and allow the vadai to cook until the tops look steamed.
- Once the tops are steamed, then uncover the pan and flip over, drizzle additional oil as required and pan fry the vadai’s until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Place the Aama Vadai’s on a serving platter along with coconut chutney or green chutney
Warning: file_get_contents(): https:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /home/sweetsandnamkeen/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsweetsandnamkeens.com%2Fparippu-vada%2F): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/sweetsandnamkeen/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151