Veg Pulao tastes best when served hot and it can be garnished with nuts and raisins as per taste. Sometimes chopped cubes of Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) are also added for extra taste. Due to addition of vegetables, Veg Pulao is a satisfying, healthy and complete food in itself.
To make Veg Pulao at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
Category: Main Course
Ingredients For Veg Pulao Recipe
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Large Potato, diced
- 1 Cup Medium Sized Cauliflower florets
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Large or 2 Small Carrots, chopped
- 10-15 French Beans, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- ~1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 Green Cardamoms (Choti Elaichi)
- 1 Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- ~1 Inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 3-4 Cloves (Laung)
- 4-5 Whole Black Peppercorn (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- 2 Teaspoons Salt, or to taste
- 10-12 Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Mint Leaves
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Veg Pulao Recipe
- Wash and rinse 1 cup of rice in water 3-4 times. Soak it in 1 cup of water for around 20 minutes.
- While the rice are soaking prepare the vegetables. Thinly slice the onions. Boil the peas (I have used frozen ones). Chop the tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, cauliflower, carrots and beans. Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.
Heat ghee or oil in a pot or a pressure cooker. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon, Cloves, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom and Black Peppercorn.
Then add the thinly sliced onions along with paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry them till they are golden brown and crispy.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the raw aroma of the tomatoes goes away.
Then add all the chopped vegetables, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, french beans and peas. Mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add cashews along with chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves.
Drain the soaked rice and add them to the pot along with 2.5 cups of water. Add 2 teaspoons of Salt or according to taste.
Cover the pot with a lid and cook on low flame for around 10-15 minutes, till the water dries up and the rice are cooked.
Veg Pulao is ready. Serve it hot garnished with Cilantro and Mint Leaves. You can serve any kind of Raita on the side like Mint Raita, Onion Tomato Raita or Boondi Raita.
Source : www.vegecravings.com