- All Purpose Flour(Maida) or Cake Flour – 1 1/2 cup
- Butter(room temp) – 1/2 stick (1/4 cup)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Egg Whites – 2
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tblsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
- Cold Soda/Water/Milk – 3/4 cup
- Mandarin Oranges – 1 tin
- Cream – 200gms (7 oz)
- Jam – 2tbsp (optional)
- Powdered sugar – 4 tbsp
- Almonds – 1 cup (sliced)
- Beat the egg whites until it is stiff.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together.
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry and the wet ingredients.(butter, sugar, flour and baking soda).
- Add the soda/water/milk and vanilla essence and mix everything well.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites gently with the above batter.
- Grease a cake pan and add the batter to it.
- Bake it in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Prick the cake using a toothpick to see if the cake is ready. If the cake is ready the toothpick will come out clean.
- If done take it out of the oven and cool it nicely before applying the frosting. (I made 2 cakes to layer and apply frosting)
- Whisk together the cream using a whisk or using a hand blender until stiff peaks are formed.
- Mix the icing sugar and vanilla essence to this to make the frosting.
- Place one cake on a cake stand or a tray.
- Sprinkle few drops of the liquid from the mandarin orange can.
- Apply some frosting all over the cake then sprinkle some orange pieces and almond pieces.
- Now place the second cake on top.
- Optionally, apply some jam on the outer section of the whole cake.
- Apply rest of the frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the sides of the cake with sliced almonds and the top of the cake with fruits.